Food glorious food! March saw the launch of the Southampton Sustainable Food Partnership and a fantastic Open Day at our local centre for urban food growing – Aldermoor Farm – together with CURB, our local food waste campaign. But don’t worry, April isn’t just about eating leftover Easter eggs, as this month we have local farmers markets, a vegan supper club, and a vegan fayre.
Sustainable food is definitely one element of a sustainable city, but another is the air we breathe. We are very lucky to have the launch of Clean Air Southampton in April – look out for the ‘smogmobile’ monitoring levels of air pollution around the city! The ever popular Researchers Café will also be hosting an event on air quality.
Do you have other ideas about how you would like Southampton to be? Would you like to play a part in shaping our communities and our city, and making them more sustainable? ‘Imagine Southampton’ is the theme of the Transition Southampton AGM on 12th April – we warmly welcome you to be part of the conversation. More information on the flyer below together with details of all the other events in the city this month. Enjoy!
Other April events (with thanks to Clare Diaper, Transition Southampton):
- 4th April Winchester Café Sci event What planet are we living on? talk by James Dyke (Southampton University), 7.15pm
- 9th April and 23rd April Station Quarter Farmers Market, Southampton
- 10th April K6 Gallery Trail launch
- 13th April Launch of Clean Air Southampton
- 14th April Western Docks Consultation Forum meeting, 7pm
- 15th April Researchers Café on Air Quality, 6.30pm at Mettricks
- 16th April Scrapstore open, 10.30 til 1pm
- 16th April Clothes swap at Rice Up, 12.30-4pm
- 16th April Goswell & Milne Pop-up Vegan Supper Club at The Art House, 7.30pm
- 19th to 29th The Big Pedal the National Cycle to school initiative
- 21st April Groovy Growers plant swap at The Art House
- 23rd April Down to Earth Farm Open Day 10am – 3pm
- 25th April Climate Change, Life and Death – a lecture by Professor John Broome (Oxford University) at Room 2, West Downs Centre, West Downs Campus, Romsey Road, Winchester SO22 5HT, at 9.30
- 28th April Southampton Green Drinks, The Art House, 6.30pm
- 30th April New Forest Vegan Fair, Lyndhurst
- 30th April Mayfield Nurseries Spring Fayre
- 30th April Hampshire Climate Action Network meeting 9.30am, Basingstoke RG21 4EB
And if you happen to be shopping in Waitrose in Portswood, the little green tokens can be donated to the Southampton Scrapstore this month! (With thanks to Jax Rolls)